CLASSIFIEDS SECTION : $15 for 30 words for 40 days. Click Here
 2015 London Majors' Home Games (Regular Season)  ?

2015 Regular Season Home Games of the IBL's London Majors Baseball Club (Labatt Memorial Park at Wilson and Riverside)

Click on image below to enlarge

Click on image above to enlarge

 Fresh from The Baker's Oven  
2 new Stories in the last 1 day

COMMENTS last 2 days
No new comments

TRACKBACKS last 2 days
No new trackback comments

LINKS last 2 weeks
No recent new links

 THE ROLLING STONES: Off the Hook, Unplugged and Disconnected, by Barry Wells    
 Author:  Butch McLarty
 Dated:  Monday, June 23 2014 @ 12:01 AM EDT
 Viewed:  3,110 times  
FINAL, JUNE 22: London Majors 16, Guelph Royals 6 at Labatt Park. In their last four games (all wins at home), the London Majors have scored 48 runs.

NEXT HOME GAME: Friday, June 27 at 7:35 pm vs. Burlington Bandits.

FINAL, JUNE 21: London Majors 10, Brantford Red Sox 7. London nearly blew a nine-run lead by walking seven batters late in the game. IBL Standings.

NEXT HOME GAME: London hosts the Guelph Royals at Labatt Park on Sunday, June 22 at 1:05 pm.

LFP POLL: Who would you pick for interim mayor?
Friday, June 20, 2014 (Results as of Sat. June 21 at 11:10 pm)

61% 1139 votes Joni Baechler

15% 273 votes Bud Pohill

12% 220 votes Harold Usher

12% 238 votes Judy Bryant

THOUGHT DU JOUR, JUNE 21: Choosing between Joni Baechler and Spud Polhill for Interim Mayor is like a choice between a $200K Rolls Royce and a $50 shitbox.

What's left of the Fontana Ate Clowns will choose the shitbox because everything they do is fourth-rate and substandard. 100% junk. Good thing they don't constitute a majority on council. Londoners would be SOL.

FINAL, JUNE 20: London Majors 10, Kitchener Panthers 2, at Labatt Park. Next home game is tomorrow night (Sat. June 21) at 7:35 pm against the Brantford Red Sox. IBL Standings.
LONDON MAJORS' BASEBALL THIS WEEKEND: * Fri. June 20, Kitchener at London, 7:35pm; * Sat. June 21, Brantford at London, 7:35pm; * Sun. June 22, Guelph at London, 1:05pm.
GOOD NEWS: Gondola Joe is gone as of 10 am this morning

BAD NEWS: Joe Swantana is now Acting Mayor

BREAKING NEWS, JUNE 19: Joe Fontana's media conference scheduled for today to announce his resignation has been cancelled. He has, however, had his written resignation delivered to the city clerk's office, effective as of 10 am today.

Fontana also says he "will not return to public life."

After 10 this morning, Joe Swantana will be "Acting Mayor" (due to the City's goofy rotational by-law enacted in early 2011) with an "Interim Mayor" to be selected by city council.

In this regard, a special meeting of London city council has been called for Monday, June 23 at 8 pm. It promises to be a real circus.

Ward 9 Coun. Dale Henderson says the Christian community is praying for Gondola Joe Fontana.

The Thurs. June 19, 2014, edition of The London Yodeller is out.

Hard copies of this independently owned, local bi-weekly magazine can be picked up throughout downtown and east London, including the Central Library and the Aeolian Hall at Dundas Street East and Rectory Street or you can subscribe to the bi-weekly e-edition online at

The next Yodeller hits the stands on Thurs. July 3.

THE ROLLING STONES: Off the Hook, Unplugged and Disconnected

By Barry Wells

Forty-nine years ago on April 26, 1965, the Rolling Stones headlined a now-infamous show at Treasure Island Gardens (today's "Forest City Velodrome") south of the 401.

It was the first time the Stones rolled into Canada on an American tour, with four dates on Canadian soil: Montreal, Ottawa, Toronto and little ol' London, Ontario ~ population 180,000.

Opening the concert were The Nottingham Three from St. Thomas, local band The Fortune Tellers and JB & The Playboys from Montréal. Approximately 3,000 excited fans had paid $2.50 (advance) or $3.50 (at the door), expecting the Stones to play for an hour or two; but 15 minutes into the Stones' set during their 6th song, Off the Hook, some party pooper pulled the power chord to the amplifiers. Chairs were tossed and some spectators got caught in the crush of the crowd. It was lucky no one was trampled to death.

Capturing the night's chaos with her camera was trailblazing London still-photographer Jeanne Graham, one of Canada's first female news photographers.


(1) Everybody Needs Somebody to Love
(2) Pain in my Heart
(3) Around and Around
(4) Time Is on My Side
(5) It's All Over Now
(6) Off the Hook.

Then whammo. Game over.

Most say it was the antsy OPP who pulled the plug due to the unruly crowd, but Graham Beattie, bass player for The Fortune Tellers, posted the following account on October 31, 2011, to the "Yorkville Village 1960s" facebook group page:

"There was a big riot when the promoter absconded with the money and the Stones' manager cut the power to the amps but the PA was still working. Mick [Jagger] thought it was a replay of the riot in Toronto two nights before and announced 'The police have turned off the e-lec-tric-ity.' Keith [Richards] was urging the crowd to break through the police barriers. The crowd started throwing metal folding chairs. The cops couldn't control them. The Stones took off. All our amps were still onstage and got trashed. The Stones never got paid [their $10,000 fee]."

JERRY MOODY: Working security near the stage at the Gardens that historic night was Corps-of-Imperial-Frontiersman guard, Jerry Moody, 23, a lifelong Londoner who grew up near Governor Simcoe Public School in SoHo.

"I was working full-time at Webster Air Equipment and part-time for the Frontiersman. We had the contract at the Gardens and worked a lot of the concerts. I was young and liked excitement, but that night was wild. Originally, I signed up with the Frontiersman to watch the hockey games for free ... There were about 30 security guards on duty for the Stones' show and a few OPP before they called in reinforcements after all hell broke loose," says Moody, now 72.

"The Stones played a few songs but something was happening in the crowd and people started pushing on the snow fence. Then the music stopped and everyone started hollering and screaming, surging toward the fence. One girl flew over the fence. We were trying to push her back over but the people behind her were pushing her our way. One of the OPP grabbed her, took her away and charged her. I wasn't injured that night but I lost my hat and so did another guard ... It took nearly an hour to disperse the crowd with an OPP officer on a bullhorn ordering everyone to leave or be charged with trespassing," remembers Moody. "It was a long time ago but I've never forgotten that night."

London Yodeller editor Herman Goodden also attended the concert (at age 12) with two pals from Mountsfield Public School, but was injured in the mêlée: "I had just helped release one of my friends who was caught underneath a trampled section of snow fence ~ a hideously dangerous predicament that I shudder to recall ~ when I felt a sharp sensation as the metal leg of a hurled chair dug into the crown of my head ... Spilling that much blood at a Stones' concert, I felt like I'd earned my rock-and-roll spurs."

Here's the Rolling Stones' version of events:

"The police just created an antagonistic atmosphere," Stones' bassist Bill Wyman told The London Free Press on April 27, 1965. "These kids were just enjoying themselves, the police acted in a typical small-town way. They just panicked."

Frontman and full-lipped pretty boy Mick Jagger said "Our instruments wouldn't work and the place was dark, there was a riot, but it wasn't our fault. We're always the ones to get the blame."

Jerry Moody says he may have worked at the Gardens as a guard on another historic night in London: "It might have been the show when Johnny Cash asked June Carter to marry him on stage. But I was stationed out back near Johnny's tour bus and didn't see the actual stage show."

If so, that would have been February 22, 1968, nearly three years after the Stones made their only appearance in The Forest City. One of the greatest bands in rock-and-roll history has never returned and at their respective ages (Mick will be 71 on July 26), likely never will.

To watch a short archival video of the Stones in London, Google "Mirror, Mirror, CFPL-TV video archives 1965" or by clicking HERE.

 What's Related  

 Story Options  
  • Mail Story to a Friend
  • Printable Story Format

  • THE ROLLING STONES: Off the Hook, Unplugged and Disconnected, by Barry Wells | 1 comments | Create New Account
    The following comments are owned by whomever posted them. This site is not responsible for what they say.
    THE ROLLING STONES: Off the Hook, Unplugged and Disconnected, by Barry Wells
    Authored by: Butch (The Beast) McLarty on Thursday, June 19 2014 @ 09:50 AM EDT

    The Fontana Media Conference scheduled for Thursday, June 19, 2014 has
    been CANCELLED.

    Please see Media Release below.

    Media Release

    London Mayor Joe Fontana Resigns

    Thursday, June 19, 2014

    For Immediate Release:

    London: Joe Fontana has resigned as mayor of London, Ontario. The
    resignation was delivered to the City Clerk and is effective as of 10:00 a.m.

    The mayor had announced his intention to step down on Monday. He took
    several days to meet and speak with members of Council and City staff. He
    also contacted a number of community and business leaders and expressed
    his thanks for their support and assistance during his time in office.

    Mayor Fontana has always been committed to the city of London and to its
    residents. He is proud to have served the people for over 30 years, first on
    council, then in Ottawa and finally returning to be mayor. He says, “It has
    been an honour and privilege to work on behalf of Londoners and I remain
    committed to the wellbeing of our city and citizens. The steps I take today are
    difficult ones but I do so knowing it is the best thing I can do for Londoners
    and my family.”

    The mayor said this is not as he had envisioned his finals days in office but he
    accepts the challenges before him. “I understand I am required to walk this
    path alone and I have learned that we will be measured not only by what we
    do but by how we choose to carry our burdens.

    I want to thank the citizens of London for their engagement in the city, for
    their vision and energy, for believing there is always a way to progress. Since
    becoming mayor I have seen the results of their collective and individual drive
    time and time again. It is Londoners who move the city in the right direction
    and Londoners who will keep it focussed on what is critical.”

    The mayor distributed a letter to City staff thanking them and recognizing
    their diligence under all situations from mega snowstorms to welcoming
    visitors from around the world. He reiterated his belief that their choice to
    work for the benefit of family, friends and neighbours shows them to be
    caring and compassionate people.

    In correspondence to fellow Council members the mayor thanked each of
    them for their hard work and wished them all the best in the future.

    Mayor Fontana indicated he will focus his time on his family. He
    acknowledged, “They have sacrificed for me for 32 years. I will not return to
    public life.”

    To advertise on Alt-London contact me at We have reasonable rates designed to fit any advertising budget.